People come to 1-on-1 meditation coaching with me, Michael Taft, for different reasons. Some people want to learn meditation from scratch from a mindfulness coach. Some want to go deeper in their meditation practice. Some people want to work on coping with a specific issue, like anxiety, depression, or chronic pain. For all of these reasons and more, 1-on-1 mindfulness coaching with me can be exactly the right thing.
I craft individual programs for each person, based on your wants, needs, opportunities, and interest. Together we will develop a strategy for your ongoing mindfulness practice and achieving your goals. We will work over the telephone, Skype, and sometimes using text messaging, Facebook messaging, and email.
Usually we will meet once a week for 50 min. The typical time commitment I recommend is three months. That’s usually enough to get you on the right track. Once they get on track and we have established a good rapport, many people work with me on an ongoing basis to deepen their practice.
Meditation is a lot like lifting weights. No matter how much you read about weight lifting, it’s not going to get you anywhere (unless you have a very heavy book). If you want to get the benefits, you have to get down to business and actually lift some weights.
Meditation is the same. You can read a thousand books, and you won’t get any better at meditating. To actually get the benefits of mindfulness, you have to sit down and do the practice. Yet we all know how challenging, confusing, lonely, complex, and just plain difficult it can be.
Imagine having your own personal mindfulness coach. Somebody to guide you one-on-one in your meditation practice. A friend who can point the way. It’s like having your own personal trainer to help you with your weight lifting.
When you sign up for personal meditation sessions with me, that is what you get. With calm, patient, and friendly guidance, you receive the following:
- Step-by-step guidance – Meditation is a skill, and requires training like any other. In a personal session you get the expert, specific, and understanding instruction you need to succeed.
- Personalized instruction – Meditation is not a one-size-fits-all technique. Different people respond favorably to different techniques. In a personal session with me, your meditation practice will be tailor-made to fit your unique personality, situation, and goals. I don’t just teach mindfulness, if you’re looking for nondual practices or many other forms, I can work with you on those, too.
- Feedback & Encouragement – Boost your skill acquisition by getting friendly, consistent feedback about your progress in learning and practicing meditation. Sometimes you just need a mindfulness coach to get you through the next round of a workout. And often it helps to get affirmation from outside that you’re doing it right, and making solid progress.
- Life Counseling – When you commit to a daily meditation practice, all areas of live begin to change and improve. I have decades of experience helping to guide people through this life-changing and ongoing transition.
- Structure & Accountability – Despite your best intentions, keeping to a daily meditation practice is often a challenge. By setting up a schedule of practice, and meeting regularly with me, you can achieve your goal of cultivating a powerful daily meditation practice.
- Humor, warmth, and decades of real-world experience – I have been meditating for about 35 years, and have been teaching people to meditate for over a decade. I have guided hundreds of people to deeper, more effective meditation, and greater achievement and fulfillment in life. Read what some of my students are saying here. I can help you develop a powerful and life-changing meditation practice too.
What happens in a session?
Each session is crafted for the individual, but they tend to be composed of several things: guided meditation sessions, questions by me about the details of your practice, and an opportunity for you to ask me questions about your practice. This dialog will keep you on track and progressing at an optimal rate. I also ask that you keep a journal of your meditation questions, experiences, and reports so that we can review that each week.
As a mindful life coach, I also welcome questions about your life, achieving your goals, and other topics that we deem relevant to your progress.
All together, my way of working offers you complete support for your practice. The flexibility and personalization of your sessions means that you will never be just a cog in the machine, a faceless disciple a crowded meditation hall, or subjected to cookie-cutter answers or methods. If you are confused, I’ll help you find clarity. If you have questions, I’ll answer them (or help you to find your own answers). If you just need somebody to be there for you in your practice, I’ll be there.
Are You Ready?
My 1:1 meditation coaching represents a significant outlay of time, energy, and a financial commitment on your part. Although I am happy to work with anybody who is truly interested and motivated, it’s best if you are ready and willing to:
- Meditate a minimum of 30 minutes per day. That’s the minimum; more would be better.
- Reduce or change activities that might be expected to interfere strongly with meditation (for example a massive daily drinking habit).
- Study the books/audios/videos assigned to you.
- Keep a daily journal of your meditation practice, and the questions that arise
If you are not ready to meet these minimum commitments, this might not be the right time for you. I suggest you wait until a time when you have more time and energy for your meditation practice.
If these seem like achievable commitments to you, then I suggest you get in touch.
Get In Touch
If you are interested in working with me, please fill out the form below to begin the conversation. I look forward to hearing from you.
Note: My 1:1 mindfulness coaching is very popular, and people who start often choose to stay for long periods. Because I’m just one person, and turnover of students is low, personal mindfulness coaching sessions with me are limited, and you may have to wait to get in.
My 1:1 coaching practice is currently full. The waiting list is also full. For now, I’ve temporarily stopped taking new inquiries, and hidden the form that is normally here. Please check back in a year or so.
weight lifter photo by Alexander