Deconstructing Yourself Podcast
Dedicated to liberation in all its forms, the Deconstructing Yourself podcast is passionate about fearlessly investigating, practicing, and reviewing all things to do with awakening, meditation, mindfulness, brain hacking, neurofeedback, and more.
Your host Michael W. Taft interviews some of the most interesting thinkers, authors, teachers, and radical practitioners in the world. In this hard-hitting, radical, and fun podcast we look at secular post-, non-, un- Buddhism, Advaita Vedanta, Hindu Tantrism, philosophy, the neuroscience of the sense of self, neurofeedback and the consciousness hacking movement, aspects of artificial intelligence, entheogens, and much more.
Listen to the Latest Episodes
See all episodes further down the page
What People Are Saying
Awesome, refreshing take on meditation *****
Michael has a great way of getting to the essence of things. It’s refreshing to have straight-up, no-nonsense, no lovey-dovey, hippie BS approach to self-awareness, mindfulness, and meditation. Too often these podcasts are about ‘feeling good’ vs waking up to the reality of the human condition. I really like how Michael takes this on. Looking forward to more of these…
A witty and wise exploration of the deep end of the consciousness ocean. This podcast makes me laugh out loud and nod in agreement. Fun, fascinating and wonderful.
An enormous gift *****
It’s such a gift to get to listen in on Michael Taft’s conversations with other long time meditation teachers. There’s a way in which Buddhism is all about teaching–how do you convince people to try things that will lead them to experiences they haven’t had before? Or ideas they can’t know will benefit them? Michael Taft explores the nuts and bolts of how to learn, teach and think with so much more.
Fascinating and thought provoking *****
The first three podcasts brought up a number of points that challenged my assumptions about practice and about awakening. They have helped me to reflect on what I’m really looking for and how I’m going about it. Highly recommended!
Thank you Michael Taft! *****
Very helpful. This has helped me tremendously!
Totally worth it *****
There are so many conversations out there about meditation that never really get into the nitty-gritty of what it’s actually like to meditate. This goes there in a real way, leaving behind all of the woowoo nonsense mindfulness is usually wrapped up in. It’s a really engaging, enlightening and thought-provoking podcast that will up the ante in your personal practice for sure.
Food for both Brain and Soul*****
The perfect mix of both brain and soul food. Talk of nirvana and neuroscience.
Exhilarating, mind altering and fun *****
I found myself learning, growing, disagreeing, giggling and mostly really enjoying this podcast. If you are willing to challenge long held assumptions and deconstruct yourself, go ahead and subscribe. You won’t regret it.
A long-awaited perspective on awakening! *****
I just listened to the first 3 episodes of the podcasts, & I must say that this is a long-awaited & refreshing perspective on the practices that lead to liberation & awakening. The 3-part interview on Buddhist meditation with Kenneth Folk was informative, funny, & bluntly honest regarding meditation practices, unrealistic expectations, and the unglamorous & very ordinary results of practice. As so… more
Mind expanding! *****
Love this! More please!
All Podcast Episodes
- Meditation, Insight, and Predictive Processing with Ruben Laukkonen
- Eco-Aesthetics and the Poetry of Longing with Rick Jarow
- Vision, Visualization, and Vajrayana, with Chandra Easton
- Talking about Zen Koans, with Henry Shukman
- Vajrayana as a Living Practice, with Ken McLeod
- Dimensions of Nonduality, with Tina Rasmussen
- Meditation and Communication, with Shinzen Young
- Spiritual Bypassing and the Spiritual Friend
- A Conversation with Spring Washam
- Talking with People about Things, with David McRaney
- Soulmaking Dharma with Catherine McGee
- Dreams and the Spiritual Imagination with Steve Aizenstat
- Love Unveiled with A.H. Almaas
- Vajrayana and Deity Yoga with Chandra Easton
- Evolving Ground with Rindzin Pamo and Jared Janes
- A Conversation with Ken McLeod
- Paranoia, Conspiracy, and Covid, with Erik Davis
- Effortlessness in Meditation, with Jud Brewer
- Awakening and the Path of Liberation, with Dan Brown
- Vajrayana, Compassion, and the Importance of the Teacher, with Ken McLeod
- Why Do Narcissists Become Spiritual Teachers, with Stephan Bodian
- Questioning Assumptions about Buddhism, with Evan Thompson
- The Nondual Heart, with John Prendergast
- Nonduality and Awake Awareness, with Loch Kelly
- Meditating with Buddhist Sutras, with Michael Owens
- Reversing the Stack, with Michael Taft
- What Does Dreaming Have to Do with Meditation? with Andrew Holecek
- Deconstructing Sensory Experience, with Michael Taft
- Vajrayana, Engineering, and Jiu Jitsu, with Rin’dzin Pamo
- Why Metadharma?, Pt.2, with Vincent Horn
- Meditation, Emotions, and the Bio-Emotive Framework with Douglas Tataryn
- Loch Kelly on Awarenes, Freedom, and Effortless Mindfulness
- Culadasa on Meditation and Therapy
- Meditation for the End of Civilization, with Rick Hanson
- The Liberating Practice of the Fire Kasina, with Daniel Ingram
- Meditation, Madness, and Psychology, with Tucker Peck
- Embodying Awakening, with Mukti
- Deconstructing the Heart Sutra, with Jayarava Attwood
- Robert Anton Wilson, High Weirdness, and Buddhist Meditation, with Erik Davis
- What Can AI Tell Us about the Human Mind? with Joscha Bach
- Doubt, Faith, and Fun in Meditation Practice, with Daniel Ingram
- Feminism, Sexual Misconduct, and the Guru in Buddhism, with Chandra Easton
- Deconstructing Michael, with Erik Newton
- Emptiness, Liberation, and Beauty, with Rob Burbea
- Walking, Nature, and Engaged Buddhism, with Christopher Titmuss
- Lucid Dreaming, Meditation, and Consciousness, with Evan Thompson
- Are More People Achieving Stream Entry These Days?” with Culadasa
- Emotions, Stress, and Heartbreak, with Eve Ekman
- Why Good Teachers Go Bad, with Shinzen Young
- Deconstructing Dependent Arising, with Leigh Brasington
- Seeing Your Blind Spots, with Kelly Boys
- Popping the Bubble of Projection, with Daniel Ingram
- Standing at the Edge, with Roshi Joan Halifax
- Eddies in the Mind Stream, with Rick Hanson, Ph.D.
- Diving Deep into the Jhanas, with Leigh Brasington
- Enlightened Sexuality, with Jessica Graham
- Consciousness, Spirituality, and Intellectual Honesty, with Thomas Metzinger
- Reality Let Loose, with A. H. Almaas
- Attention, Awareness, and the Great Adventure, with Culadasa
- The Craving Mind, with Judson Brewer
- Meditation, Magick, and the Fire Kasina, with Daniel Ingram
- Enlightenment’s Evil Twin, with Shinzen Young
- Pattern and Nebulosity, with David Chapman
- The Great Unbundling, with Vincent Horn
- Feather Light & Paper Thin, with Shinzen Young
- Masters of Oblivion, with Kenneth Folk
- The Cosmic Joke, with Kenneth Folk
- Am I Mindful Right Now, with Kenneth Folk
Support the Podcast
If you enjoy the Deconstructing Yourself podcast, and would like to help others to enjoy it, please consider contributing to it.
Your financial support goes to offset the production costs of the podcast. Very little of it goes to me personally. It pays for studio time, extensive sound editing, a large file transfer bill each month, and such. I also occasionally purchase some sound equipment (microphones, a portable mixer, etc.) that help to give the podcast better audio quality.
Thank you so much for contributing to the Deconstructing Yourself podcast and helping so much to keep it going. It makes a huge difference to me, and to the wider community of fans like you who love the show.